Chicago Winter Activities
Between the wind, the cold, and the traffic, finding fun things to do in Chicago in the winter could feel like a real challenge. It doesn’t have to be that way. We’ve collected a few of our favorite Chicago winter activities, including options that will be loved by children and adults alike!
Chicago Indoor Winter Activities
This winter, staying warm doesn’t have to be synonymous with staying home. You’ll find plenty to love at each of the following destinations:
- A Christmas Carol at The Goodman Theatre: The incredible performers at The Goodman Theatre put on an unforgettable rendition of “A Christmas Carol,” and they’ve been doing so for 35 years! Your friends and family members will never forget the experience, and it’s the perfect, seasonally-appropriate way to spend an afternoon away from the cold.
- Wonderland Express at Chicago Botanic Garden: If you’d like the experience of Chicago’s family-friendly winter thrills without the cold, you’ll love Wonderland Express at the Chicago Botanic Garden. Model trains, fake snow, real flora, and bright lights make for an unforgettable day in.
- Spa Day: Everyone could use a break from winter’s icy grip, but you don’t need to spend a week away from home to feel refreshed. Instead, spend a day at one of Chicago’s relaxing, energizing spas. We recommend Allyu in River North and the Ruby Room in Wicker Park.
- Visit a Museum: Educational opportunities abound when you take advantage of Chicago’s vibrant constellation of world-class museums. Two of the finest are the Art Institute of Chicago and the Field Museum, but if you’re looking for a free option, check out the Chicago Cultural Center.
Chicago Outdoor Winter Activities
If you’re ready to brave the cold, you’ll be well-rewarded by a trip to any of the following sites:
- Ice Skating in Millenium Park: You don’t have to spend a fortune to enjoy the winter in Chicago. ice skating at Millenium Park’s McCormick Tribune Ice Rink, and skate rental is affordable for both adults and children. If the cold weather holds, the skating rink is open through the tenth of March.
- Lincoln Park ZooLights: You may have seen Lincoln Park Zoo before, but you’ve never seen it like this. 2.5 million lights and everyone’s favorite animals make the annual ZooLights festival a must see. You can experience the show (and much more) with the Chicago Trolley Company’s Holiday Lights Tour.
- Christkindlmarket Chicago: Get a taste of holiday history with Chicago’s charming Christkindlmarket, which runs from November 16th to December 24th, right in the heart of downtown. No one in the family will be able to forget their first visit, and it’s an ideal place to find unique, hand-crafted gifts.
Plan Your Adventures with McGrath Acura of Downtown Chicago
Luxury cars aren’t the only thing we understand here at McGrath Acura of Downtown Chicago. Although we’re the best place to learn more about Acura’s models, and unique features like AcuraLink and Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive, we’re also a great resource for drivers interested in exploring Chicago. Check out our favorite Chicago Area Golf Courses, and keep up with our blog for more.